Re: Battery electrolyte leakage detectors? (acid/alkaline)

arthurok <arthurok@...>

maybe some sort of sensitive litmus paper that would detect vapors

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Forster" <jfor@quik.com>
To: "onamathist" <pstewart@gwi.net>; <TekScopes@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Battery electrolyte leakage detectors? (acid/alkaline)

The best method is the calibrated eyeball, applied a few times a year. IMO, any
battery operated equipment needs to have it's battery looked at fairly often.

In the past, most of this high end gear was used in companies with regular cal
cycles. That cal cycle would have spotted things like the fuzz on NiCds, the
early signs of a failure, and things like that would have been fixed before
being returned to service. That just does not happen when the instrument is in
private hands. (Among other things, a new NiCd pack may well exceed the value or
price of the instrument.)

In fact, I've gotten a lot of perfectly good Tek (and other) gear because the
'owner' of the gear (the group it was assigned to within a company for cost
accounting purposes) was not willing to pay the calibration charges any longer.
The calibration department puts it in the pound for a while, and if it was not
rescued in a few months, it was sold for surplus. In a large business, such a
procedure does make some sense, especially if you are working on government
contracts, but perfectly good equipment gets discarded as a result. Hence $600
toilet seats and high taxes.

In my experience, it's the neglected batteries that leak. I'm likely as guilty
as anyone else for not taking periodic care of batteries, but it's part of the
reason I'm not a real fan of battery powered equipment. The stuff just goes bad
sitting on a shelf.

FWIW,
-John

onamathist wrote:

Hi folks.
Does anyone know of a good sensing device to sniff out leaky
batteries, [snip]

Yahoo! Groups Links