“Collecting” Tektronix ‘scopes

Dave Daniel

Starting a new thread on this here.

Yes, it is insidious. I’m not sure why, except that the excellence of the ‘scopes is attractive, and after the first repair of one of these using the Tektronix service manual (which amount to courses in analog engineering), one seems to become enamored with the wide variety of Tektronix ‘scopes.

As I wrote earlier, my first acquistions were a 7904A and a 485. Actually, I had purchased a 465 many years earlier. I later became convinced that it had been stolen from Documation, the company for which I worked and which was acquired by StorageTek.

Later, I acquired a second 485 as a spare. Then I found a non-working 7104 for about $200. It still needs work. At that point I started looking for specific ‘scopes. A 7934 was my next find; I bought it for about $150; it was sold “for parts only”. It turned out the the PO had put a 2A fuse in it when a 4A fuse was required. It’s worked flawlessly ever since.

An SC-502 was acquired after I bought a TM-5006. I bought a second inexpensive and non-working SC-502 as a parts mule soon after.

The other targeted ‘scopes were a 310A, a 547 (a la Jim Williams) and a 2465BDV, which I acquired at reasonable prices through much patience.

The 310A that I found came with a leather carrying case specific to IBM. The 2465BDV was another good deal found through severe patience.

There was a guy in Denver that had a 547 on Craigslist for $20; I immediately went down there to buy it only to discover that it didn’t work. The owner gave it to me; it came with a Scopemobile.

There was a surplus electronics store in Boulder, CO that went out of business. Shortly after that happened, I stopped by on a Saturday to find a 7623A on the picnic table with a “free” sign on it, so I took it.

A couple of years I found a J20/7J20 spectrometer on ebay, which I bought. It came with a 3 slot mainframe (7314?) for which I have no use and would give away to anyone who wanted to come and pick it up.

A few months ago a friend gave me a 475, which I plan to repair and give to the luthier who maintains mg Gibson guitars.

DaveD, that is so true!

I'm entertaining myself watching another item by the same seller that is about to expire. It pushes a lot of "want" buttons, but for the cost I can easily buy several items that I could really use. I'm fascinated by my own irrational urge to bid. This auction thing is diabolical.

Speaking of need: anyone have a line on a 067-0525-01 or 02?

I have a current work around with fairly well matched 3' cables. But I'd really rather have the right thing.

Sorry for the thread crashing.
Dave

On Thursday, October 21, 2021, 03:04:27 PM PDT, Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark, that is excellent advice. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work when it comes to Tektronix oscilloscopes.

DaveD