Re: Idle Question About the 485

Walter,

I don't see the fusible element in the 485 schematics, maybe you're thinking of the 7A19, or the 7A24?

My wife might not kill me if I got a 485, but I'm in the middle of a reorg of my bench and lab (making storage and organization for a bunch of plug-ins, and finding a reasonable way to arrange portable and bench-top scopes along side other instruments for use) and I'm already thinking that some of my scopes are surplus to requirements. A 485 would not make the project any easier.

The 7903 is clearly superior to the 485, unless you have to travel with it. My whole reorg is being done because I've become quite fond of a couple of 7600s (two 7603s and a 7633) in recent months. My bench was organized around a couple of portable scopes originally, which could be easily arrayed around my desk sitting upright on the floor, but the 7600s demand bench or shelf space. Having one 7600 on the bench as a tool doesn't leave much space for a second one as a patient.

I have not technical need for a 485. My only emotional connection is that I let a nice one slip through my fingers this past spring at a similar price. It had a blue phosphor CRT! I suspect that another member of this group might have bought it while I was napping.

-- Jeff Dutky