Re: Idle Question About the 485

Jeff,

50 ohm protection on the 485 is a fusible ceramic element in the attenuator chain, a rare and hard to find object.
having said that, the 485 scope is very nice, but quite complex (especially in the vertical section) AND old, not a great combination today.

I was surprised at the relatively good condition of that 485 unit on ebay, it looks like a worthy overhaul candidate to me, especially considering the brightness of the unobtainable CRT. I was tempted myself, but aside from the fact susan would almost certainly kill me on its arrival, I have two (R)7903's which I far prefer for fast analog work. THAT is a great scope, and not adequately appreciated.

all the best,
walter
sphere research corp.