Re: USPS shipments comments

stevenhorii

I’ve been to quite a few warehouses to pick up stuff I had delivered by
freight. It’s a lot cheaper to pick it up compared with home delivery since
they need to dispatch a truck with a lift gate for most home deliveries
(unless you have a truck dock!) I have had to uncrate stuff in the customer
parking area when the crate was too large for my SUV.

I know why they generally do not allow customers to walk around the
warehouse. It’s dangerous. The forklift drivers zoom around and are not
expecting inexperienced folks to be on the floor. I have been allowed on
the floor when they were having trouble finding the crate I was expecting.
They did find it with my help - it turned out that it got moved to a
staging area for a later pickup day than I had told them.

I got talking with one of the foremen about the hazards of the fork lifts.
He told me that they are usually very good and that accidents with
shipments are few (but he would say that). He did tell me about a couple of
incidents with the driver running the forks through a crate. One of them
was a large screen flat-panel TV (in those days it meant a large insurance
payout). Things falling off the forks is another problem, but the drivers
usually know when they start to lift a pallet or crate if it is not far
enough back on the forks. I worried a little when they used a lift to get
my crate into my SUV. I could imagine the forks going through the rear
bumper or something. But the guy got it in and then raised the forks so the
ends of them were at the wood frame around the rear of the crate. He then
very slowly pushed it all the way into the back of the SUV managing to
avoid pushing into the backs of the front seats (I had folded the rear
seats down). These guys can be careful when they need to be.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 07:03 Michael A. Terrell <
terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote:

That sounds like a Drew Carey show episode where Oswald smashed the scanner
in shipping while playing on a forklift.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:19 PM Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

Wasn't there a Dilbert strip like that where the company provided beer
for
the employees to loosen things up? They ended up jousting with the
forklifts in the warehouse! Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung
Galaxy
smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Ken Eckert <eckertkp@gmail.com>
Date: 10/20/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject:
Re:
[TekScopes] USPS shipments comments My wife worked for a while in a BC
Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet
just for a giggle............