Re: Type 284 Pulse Generator strange output.

Jared Cabot

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 02:58 AM, Michael Perkins wrote:

Folks,
Risetime and bandwidth are related by a simple relation: BW= 0.35/
risetime. For a 350 MHz bandwidth, the risetime needs to be 1nS. For a 60
MHz bandwidth, you should expect a 5.83 nS risetime.
Mike
Checking again:
The Leo Bodnar pulser is giving me 5.4nS at 1.7VP-P on Channel 1 and 2 on the 60MHz TDS210. So basically spot on (a tiny bit over performing, which is nice).
If I terminate it into 50 ohms, it gives me 4.5nS at 860mVP-P.
The (terminated) Tek 284 is giving me 4.5nS at 240mVP-P on Channel 1 and 2 on the 60MHz TDS210.

I'll call it good, at least the scope is meeting it's rated specs.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 05:13 PM, Albert Otten wrote:

The Tek peaks at a couple hundred millivolts or so, the Leo Bodnar peaks at
around 5 volts.
All 3 pulsers at Bodnars website (at this moment) have 1.2 V pp max. So which
model are you referring to?
Attenuators will degrade the pulse form somewhat but perhaps you can try
attenuators to test both pulsers at the same scope sensitivity.
Albert
Yep, I'm reading 1.7V P-P, A classic late night typo on my part... :D