Re: [OT] Amplification before tubes existed

saipan59 (Pete)

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 12:38 PM, cheater cheater wrote:

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 7:35 PM saipan59 (Pete) <saipan1959@...> wrote:

I suggest starting with a precise definition of "amplification", in the
context you are interested in.
With the examples you mentioned, things are rather broad...
Output voltage = input voltage * x where x > 1. (and distortion or
changes to frequency response are allowed)
Is 'voltage amplification' specifically what you care about? What about current, power, etc.?
I asked for your "context" because it goes a long way to guiding the reader's train of thought. Someone might easily say: "Ah, if THAT is what (and WHY) you really want to know, then the answer could be XXX".

What makes you think "things are rather broad" here?
Because we could rat-hole into almost anything. We could probably make an argument for a lemon being an "amplifier" (it's a source of electrical energy, right?), if we tried hard enough.

Pete