Another solution for the 547 HV transformer problem

Morris Odell

A friend of mine named Deon Vandenberg recently acquired a 547 scope and as expected, the HV transformer had the classic thermal runaway problem. The only cure for this is to replace or rewind the transformer and as Chuck Harris is not currently providing this service, we had to find an alternative solution. I say "we" because although Deon lives over 1000 miles away from me (Australia is a big country!) we we were able to collaborate by internet and phone.

Deon has managed to modify a transformer from another junked scope to provide virtually identical function to the original and the 547 is now working perfectly. He has kindly consented for me to upload his description of what he did in the hope that it will help others.

If you're interested, I have uploaded a word file to the "547 hv transformer" folder in the files section.

Comments welcome!

Morris