Re: TM5xx extenders

The term "rolling" is mentioned several replies earlier (in a post by ditter2 on 11 March 2019) it says the following:

While the chamfering reduces the likelihood of glass scraping the connector when mating,
the step where the circuit board foil trace mates would still scrape when it mates.
Tek prevented this by “rolling” the chamfered edge of the circuit board. The finished board
after plating is ran through a pair of conical rollers that actually smashes the circuit board
which reduces the thickness of the plated board fingers, allowing them to partially engage
into the connector before beginning to deflect the spring function of the contacts. Thus, there
is no edge scraping on the connector during the mating process. The board edge engages
before it begins to force the contacts open.
Now that I've read it again it sounds like this might be able to be done by hand applying a small amount of force to a steel bar angled from a point of contact with a flat surface and the point of contact with the edge of the connector fingers being "rolled".

I will have to examine some of the my TM500 plug-ins to see if I can measure the difference in thickness achieved by the rolling process. I can't detect any difference with my unaided eye or by touch, but a set of calipers or micrometer may be able to measure it.

-- Jeff Dutky