Re: Tek 2230 Repair and Maintenance

Charlie

Bert, Jeff, and Albert, thank you for the response.

Bert, I am planning on replacing the line caps. Seems to be the No.1 item to address during my research. Definitely not leaving that out! I have also heard that I should check the resistors in the focus string, that is also definitely on my list of things to do.

Jeff, I can appreciate that adage in certain situations, but I know that this scope was used in a university setting which makes me wager that it has a significant amount of hours on it. Not so much it is worn out, the interior is actually fairly clean, but in my (somewhat limited) experience, replacing electrolytics are a good PM measure especially when there is a fair chance they have seen some use (and have reached what many consider a ripe age).

Albert, on the topic of the pot, that is what I am thinking as well. I just want to see what kind of signal the two pots together send to the MUX. In regards to the screen at power up, I was not aware that this a cal screen. When the scope powers on to that screen, no control input gets me past it.. It could be related to my cursor control? Have not gone that far yet. But since the cursor control is essentially useless as it stands, I bet it has something to do with it. The few times I had traces, the cursor was so erratic that it made the scope seem to have a mind of it's own. Hopefully a good cleaning can get it working for the time being.

Again, thank you everybody for the help. I really appreciate the time you are willing to share with me.