Re: A high-priced Tektronix RM504

-

I live quite near KSC (Kennedy Space Center) and NASA stuff is COMMON
around here. KSC used to have monthly auctions where they auctioned off a
warehouse full of everything that you can imagine. Next door, Patrick AFB
used to have a used equipment store that was open one day a week and was
cleaned out and refilled every week. The local surplus stores and the
local ham fests are FULL of NASA marked items and the NASA sticker doesn't
add anything to the value. The paper weight on my desk is a like new HP
536A Frequency Meter that has both NASA and North American Aviation
stickers on it. North American was the prime contractor for the Apollo
spacecraft. I can't say if this meter came from that program but it's built
date is from that era.

One of my favorites is an HP-35 that I bought at PAFB for $1 back in the
1990s and that has USAF Eastern Test Range stickers on it.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 1:23 PM stevenhorii <sonodocsch@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes - proving the authenticity of “NASA” property tags can be a challenge
given the wide availability of printers that can print on foil tags.
However, compared to tags printed using conventional printing techniques,
microscopic examination can show the pixilated edges of letters from
digital printers.

Also, a NASA property tag does not usually increase the value by much to
collectors unless that tag is on a flight item or a piece of equipment that
can be documented by NASA records or photographs showing the equipment in
use. You can find “owned by NASA” stuff all over eBay - from security
cameras to test equipment. Some value for non-flight hardware is high if it
was something specifically made for NASA and has the contract number on it
to prove it.

Steve Horii

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 12:51 Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 09:19 PM, stevenhorii wrote:

and generally provide
reasonable estimates of selling prices.
Then this RM504 is an exception to the rule.
By the way... how does one verify the authenticity of the "Blue and
silver
sticker" on the front?

--
Roy Thistle