Re: What was the first oscilloscope to have cursors?

ken chalfant

Greetings,

I can’t prove it even looking back at my really old Tektronix catalogs - but, when I was in HS back in the late 1960’s a professor at the local college, what was then the Cragmor Campus in Colorado Springs, part of CU Boulder, would let me come up to their lab and mess around with test equipment.

They had a Tek scope that was as big (maybe bigger) than a Tek 556. It had a large plug-in on the right hand side that, as I recall, allowed for time measurements. It may have even been able to do amplitude. If my memory serves me it would allow the user to place intensified dots on the trace and it displayed the value on Nixie tubes within the plug-in.

Does anybody else remember a scope like this?

Ken

On 14Jul, 2021, at 1:09 AM, cmjones01 <chris@stumpie.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 8:05 PM nj902 <wb0emu@arrl.net> wrote:

Cursors as in highlighted dots (or bars) that can be moved along the trace with a corresponding method of determining time and voltage..

A second part of the question (if the answer is different) - which was the first Tektronix scope to have cursors.
Cursor voltage measurement on a Tek scope would have been possible in
1974, certainly. With a 7D12/M2 plugin the timebase delay settings can
be used to highlight a portion of trace for voltage measurement, and
any delayed timebase with a calibrated delay will effectively do
cursor time measurement. If you want on-screen digital readout of
delta-delayed time that comes in 1976 with the 7B85. So in the 7000
series scopes, I'd say that manually-controlled digital cursor
measurements of time and voltage were possible together for the first
time in 1976.

Chris