Re: FW: [TekScopes] Another interesting Tektronix web site

Dave Wise

Thanks for the suggestion, Renee, I might be able to use a stack of them. I’m aiming for something anyone anywhere can get cheaply anytime. That should cover the 3 other people in the world who still use a Type D or H ☺

Dave Wise

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Renée via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 10:31 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: FW: [TekScopes] Another interesting Tektronix web site

by your description try Grommet and bushings at Mouser..they come in
various sizes...it is what I have used for isolation.
Renée

On 6/20/21 10:10 AM, Mike Dinolfo wrote:
Don't know if they have shock mounts that will work for you, but I
recently came across shock mount-type items at mcmaster.com. Try
https://www.mcmaster.com/bumper-cushions/<https://www.mcmaster.com/bumper-cushions>

I'm not the first to suggest Mcmaster.com; other Tekscopes group members
have previously suggested Mcmaster as a source for bumpers, hardware,
raw materials, tools, etc. Good outfit to deal with (but I don't know
if they will ship outside of the US).

Mike Dinolfo N4MWP

On 6/20/21 11:30 AM, Dave Wise wrote:
Closeup photos available off-list.

I don’t know how to cast something hollow. Anyway, my goal is to
come up with something cheap and easy. Can you suggest phrases to
search for? “Shock mount” and “vibration isolator” mostly pick up
mike stands and heavy automotive/HVAC stuff.

The shape is a hollow ball with a flange at each end and a hole
through the axis. You squeeze the flanges through the mounting holes
in the chassis. With 348-007 (used in Type D and H from the 1950s,
now deteriorating) you finish up with screw-washers-nut through the
hole to prevent a big shock from tearing the cushion apart. 348-0087
(used in Type 1A6 and 1A7 from the 1960s and may outlive me) is a
different material, stiffer, and instead of a screw, it is secured
with a plug at each end. I think 348-0087 would fit in a D or H.

If I had access to the PISL (Purchased Item Source List microfilm
“window cards”), I could determine who Tek bought them from - if they
bought them - but they’re surely gone now anyway.

Dave Wise