https://www.mcmaster.com/bumper-cushions/

I'm not the first to suggest Mcmaster.com; other Tekscopes group members
have previously suggested Mcmaster as a source for bumpers, hardware,
raw materials, tools, etc.  Good outfit to deal with (but I don't know
if they will ship outside of the US).

Mike Dinolfo N4MWP

On 6/20/21 11:30 AM, Dave Wise wrote:
Closeup photos available off-list.

I don’t know how to cast something hollow.  Anyway, my goal is to come up with something cheap and easy.  Can you suggest phrases to search for?  “Shock mount” and “vibration isolator” mostly pick up mike stands and heavy automotive/HVAC stuff.

The shape is a hollow ball with a flange at each end and a hole through the axis.  You squeeze the flanges through the mounting holes in the chassis.  With 348-007 (used in Type D and H from the 1950s, now deteriorating) you finish up with screw-washers-nut through the hole to prevent a big shock from tearing the cushion apart.  348-0087 (used in Type 1A6 and 1A7 from the 1960s and may outlive me) is a different material, stiffer, and instead of a screw, it is secured with a plug at each end.  I think 348-0087 would fit in a D or H.

If I had access to the PISL (Purchased Item Source List microfilm “window cards”), I could determine who Tek bought them from - if they bought them - but they’re surely gone now anyway.

Dave Wise

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Harvey White via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 7:38 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Another interesting Tektronix web site

Could you make a mold and cast some sort of rubber?

Harvey

On 6/19/2021 10:10 PM, Dave Wise wrote:
I performed this procedure on one of the chassis cushion mounts in my Type D plugin. (Tek P/N 348-0007-00. 348-0087-00 might work too.)

No effect.

Must be a different rubber.

Unless someone has another idea, I will look at cushions made for RC helicopter camera mounts.
This one caught my eye:

https://www.amazon.com/HONBAY-Vibration-Rubber-Fright-Controller/dp/B073LPTHCL/ref=pd_di_sccai_4/130-3441475-1604467
HONBAY 24pcs RC Anti Vibration Rubber Balls for Fright Controller Gimbal

On closer look, it's far from ideal. The parts are 13mm overall height, 8mm overall diameter, 6mm hole diameter, approximately 7mm chassis spacing.
The mounting holes in Type D are themselves 8mm diameter (5/16") so the cushions will slip free unless the chassis and subchassis are modified, perhaps by gluing down washers with 6mm ID.
Also the Type D chassis are spaced on approximately 10mm centers, not 7mm, so glue the washer on the bottom side of the upper and the top side of the lower.

I'll report results in a month or so.

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.