From: "stevenhorii" <sonodocsch@gmail.com>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 5/26/2021 1:27:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Matching Tek Blue Paint

I bought a Tek 454 from DoD surplus years ago. The case had been painted
"international orange" which I believe was used to indicate flight line
maintenance equipment (those with military troubleshooting likely know for
sure - also aircraft and some shipboard maintenance stuff was housed in, or
transported in, yellow aluminum transit cases). The paint was scratched. I
ordered a can of Tek blue paint from Tektronix and repainted the case.

I have a photometer for reflective color analysis. I will run it on some of
my pieces of Tek gear and post the results here. It outputs various paint
coloring pigments and the proportion needed to match the color. It will
also give matching commercial paints and will tell you how close a match
you can get with the closest match off the shelf color. This was a
crowdfunded thing called "Spot" and it seems to work quite well. It has a
built-in white reflective calibration target (the cap over the sensor). The
report is generated to a cell phone or tablet app via BlueTooth. There is
an extra-cost option to add Pantone matches but I am not sure I will buy
that.

Steve Horii

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 3:56 PM kim.herron@sbcglobal.net <
kim.herron@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

I'm one of these guys that remembers, when I was young
and couldn't afford most
or any of the test gear that I now own. A good share of it I
have fixed/repaired/restored.
My WIFE (she who must be obeyed) won't ever ask about
something that looks nice.
If it looks like I brought it home after being dragged here
by the car/truck, I'll never here
the end of it. Added to that is the way in which I get most
of my test gear, or radios for that matter. They need
fixed. I BUY test gear and radios that need fixed to resell.
There are people that want this stuff and they WILL buy it,
if it looks like it's been restored/repaired/fixed. NOBODY
will believe that you've changed the filter caps and done
the cal on the scope, if the case looks like it's been
dragged behind the truck. Hence THE PAINT.

As for the CAR paint job, now we're talking about a
WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL. My family is in the car
repair business (95 years worth) and if you want a REAL
bugger to match, you want to have your car painted
"Chameleon". It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to repair, spot in
or touch up. Oh, that paint is also $500 a quart. A car
collectors dream and a body shop painters nightmare.

Kim Herron W8ZV
kim.herron@sbcglobal.net
1-616-677-3706

--