From: "Michael W. Lynch via groups.io" <mlynch003=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: 05/21/2021 9:45 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 547 Restoration conundrum #photo-notice

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Jason A. wrote:

I'm in the midst of what are hopefully some of the finishing touches to my 547
restoration and I've hit one thing that is perplexing me as I have found no
mention of this specific issue - and hopefully I'm not just missing the
correct search term. After some extremely helpful recommendations from Chuck
on the HV section of my 547, I have eliminated all but one of my display
oddities. Everything is leaning slightly up and to the left.
Jason,

I had a 475 that had a similar defect in the trace.

Link to discussion here:  https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/170272

I ultimately discovered that one of the glass support rods in the gun assembly had been broken by an impact at some time in the past.

Link to Photos on TEKScopes here:  https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=251792

Before you spend a lot of time looking at the electronics and trying to adjust the defect out of the scope , I would suggest a careful examination of the CRT for some sort of internal damage.  As I learned in this instance, a CRT can be damaged ever so slightly inside and still produce a fine looking trace, but one that is also useless because of the distortion.  I hope that this is not your problem.

Best of luck to you.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR