From: "Roy Thistle" <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 10:37:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] "Chats"

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 02:09 AM, Vintage Test wrote:

What would be the purpose of having a ‘chat’, as opposed to simply posting
here?
Well... there are at least a couple of reasons. I'll call them good: Dennis
is the arbiter.
AFAIK the Group is paying for this feature; whether it is of benefit or not.
Do you want less for your money? (If the answer is yes, there are lots of
people interested.)
It used to be...who needs e-mail?... when you've got snail-mail. (And that
started with who needs a postal system, when you can scrawl your messages on
a rock, along the beaten path.) "Chats" AFAICT are like "rag chew" vs. NTS.
They provide a "space" on groups.io, in the TekScopes forum where a
"conversation" can be done as naturally as possible.
"[S]imply posting here..." is not the same thing. (Is elaboration needed?)
If you're starting a "chat", I reckon you ought to be on-line, and monitoring
the chat, to see if anyone wants to join in.
I know (or I think I know) we're all use to throwing stuff out there to see
what sticks to the "wall", and then waiting (sometimes a day or more...
particularly if you get digests) to check; but, I'd doesn't have to work
that way.
And finally, for those whose blood pressure is now going past 181/81 mm Hg...
because of this post... don't worry about it. Turn on your favourite Tek
scope, and enjoy!
--
Roy Thistle