Re: Transporting a 500-Series Scope without Breaking the CRT

Greg Muir

I vaguely remember receiving a new 524AD in a heavy cardboard box with a molded rubberized fiber surrounding it forming a sort of cavity. The material had sort of a slightly springy characteristic to it yet it didn’t give from the weight. Upon receiving it you simply plugged it in.

These scopes were supplied by RCA as part of their complete broadcast television packages and if I can remember were drop shipped from Tek. I say “drop shipped” but don’t really mean it literally but the 60+ pound weight of the scope may have caused them to experience the “real thing.”

In those days we also received the larger transmitter final tubes packed in the same material. It seemed to be the packaging of choice in that era.

Greg