Re: Transporting a 500-Series Scope without Breaking the CRT

One thing I have been wondering is what the original Tek packaging looked like for one of these scopes. Was there internal bracing that had to be removed before the scope was powered up? Were the scopes shipped with some components separately packed for installation at the customer site (e.g. the CRT)? Were shippers more careful with the packages in their charge in the 1950s and 60s, or did Tek use their own shipping organization (in house, or contracted)?

The 400 and 2200 series portable scopes, which were my initial introduction to Tek scopes are obviously more amenable to shipment, built as they are to be hauled around and handled with less care than a bench top scope might expect or require, and I think I understand better what their packaging from the factory would have looked like (lots of form fitting styrofoam or cut-to-fit blocks of polyurethane/styrine/carbonate foam). I have no good feeling for what the factory packaging for a 500-series scope would have been.

-- Jeff Dutky