Re: Buying Tek equipment on eBay or on Swap meets

Michael W. Lynch

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 09:35 AM, - wrote:

you could have the seller
drop the bare item off at UPS or FedEx and, for a fee, they will pack it
and ship it to you. Beware the fee though! The last time that I did that,
UPS charged me $100 just to box up a HP 9826 computer and that was at least
20 years ago! If you're going to have equipment sent to you, you might
also consider getting some very well built boxes and sturdy foam that the
TE will fit into and then ship the box and the packaging to the seller so
that they can pack the TE into it and then return it to you.
Good suggestions for finding equipment.

On the other hand, Having Fed Ex or UPS "pack" any CRT scope is a real risk of total destruction. Many such stores are clueless about how to pack a heavy and fragile scope. If they do it right, it is going to cost a fortune. I recently had a 475 shipped to me for repair. It was packed by those "experts". The scope had two layers of bubble wrap and a few scoops of packing peanuts, that is it. The owner said that they charged him $40 to "pack" the scope. The scope was actually sliding around in the box as you moved it. The only thing that saved the knobs was the fact that they left the handle up so the handle stopped the knobs from hitting the end of the box. Miracle was that the scope was not otherwise damaged.

I would agree that you would be better off sending a proper box, packing materials and instructions for the seller to use to ship the instrument.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR