Re: Transporting a 500-Series Scope without Breaking the CRT

greenboxmaven

If pots are stiff to turn, remove the knob and put on a knob that allows you to get to the area where the shaft enters the bushing. Orient the plug in so the shaft is upward, and apply cleaning solvent to the shaft and bushing. Turn the shaft back and forth, keep a drop of solvent on the shaft where it enters the bushing and be patient. It will work,it's way in and the shaft will turn freely. Once it is free, put a drop of synthetic engine oil on the shaft and bushing, work it in, and it should be fine for years. If the actual pot or switch is scratchy, find out how to get some contact cleaner inside the pot. All of the position pots I have seen on older Tektronix plug ins are not sealed and cleaning the element and wiper is not difficult.

    Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 5/4/21 19:06, Jeff Dutky wrote:
I've cleaned up the CA plug-in with a toothbrush and warm, soapy water, and it looks almost new now. I've used DeOxit on the switches, which improved the switch feel 100%, but the vertical position pots (and assume the other pots) are quite gummy and stiff, and I don't see a way to get lubricant into them. Do I need to disassemble the pots, or are they not sealed?

-- Jeff Dutky