I've moved many of them in the back of my truck just wrapped in a moving blanket and secured so they can't slide around with no problems. This includes three 555's, shortest trip was about 40 miles the longest was 400 miles. I never opened them up when picked up, just wrap them up. I've either been really lucky or they are much more rugged then most people realize.

I do follow common sense, don't throw them in the truck and don't drop them.

 Chuck

On 5/2/2021 11:23 AM, Leon Robinson wrote:
Jeff

Take a screwdriver to remove the cover & a handfull of 8 or 11 inch tyraps just in case there is something wrong you can then secure it.

Leon Robinson  K5JLR

-------- Original message --------
From: Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com>
Date: 05/01/2021 7:19 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Transporting a 500-Series Scope without Breaking the CRT
Paul,

I used to haul large CRTs (21" computer displays) this way, which are admittedly less finicky than an old tek scope, at least they never seemed to care about orientation, and I would seatbelt them in. They were all deep enough that the seatbelt was near its limit, so they were held in pretty securely that way. For this, however, I will try to pick up some bungie cords or something, to get a good strap around the seat back. I was going to bring some larger blocks of closed cell foam to give it some cushioning in case I had to put it in back, but I can use the same foam to wedge against the dash in front.

I'm still a little worried about the CRT mounting in the case. I can't seem to find the thread now (and maybe it wasn't in this group; maybe it was in a Facebook group I also belong to) where someone had moved a 500-series scope but some part of the CRT mounting hardware had failed and the neck had shattered. I'd really like to avoid that sort of tragedy if at all possible.

-- Jeff Dutky

--
See Early TV at:

www.myvintagetv.com