Re: Chaining power supplies together.

toby@...

On 2021-05-01 10:28 p.m., Harvey White wrote:
What would you consider good power supplies given what you've said?
Walter has a bunch for sale:
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/stuffday.html#power
(not affiliated, just very happy customer)

Personally I use an HP E3631A and I love it.

--Toby

Harvey

On 5/1/2021 9:37 PM, - wrote:
"Be worth obtaining an adjustable power supply if you plan on doing many
board repairs.  Why risk damaging boards?"

    Absolutely! And use a PS with an adjustable current limit and set the
limit only slightly higher than the amount of current that you expect the
item under test to draw.  I used to keep notebooks full of notes about
various repairs including how much power that model item actually drew
under various operating conditions.  I also STRONGLY suggest using a GOOD
quality PS like those from HP, Lambda, etc and not one of cheap Chinese
ones. Many of the cheap PSs contain large filter caps on their output in
oder to reduce AC ripple but those large caps can provide enough power to
fry your electronics before their *slow* current limiters can kick in.
GOOD PSs are expensive when new but used ones are available just about
anywhere (at least in the US and Canada) and are usually very cheap
(~$20)

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 8:45 PM Bill via groups.io <ko4nrbs=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Be worth obtaining an adjustable power supply if you plan on doing many
board repairs.  Why risk damaging boards?

Bill