Re: Chaining power supplies together.

Dave Peterson

So by protection diode, you're not talking about over-voltage, you're talking about accidentally driving another source. So a forward biased diode that would prevent current into the power supply.

That much I got. No, don't drive into the PS, either setup in parallel, or attempting to drive some other source. Yeah, I wouldn't do that. (On purpose).

Dave

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 02:52:35 PM PDT, Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

Definitely.  Most power supplies take a very dim (as in permanently off)
view of reverse voltage applied to their terminals.  Most also don't
like to be tied to another power supply in parallel unless designed for it.

If you're going to charge a battery with a Chinese (or many other types)
power supply, put a series diode in so that the supply can't be fed by
the battery.

Harvey

On 5/1/2021 5:38 PM, Ed Breya via groups.io wrote:
Be sure to add an external reverse protection diode across each output, in case there isn't one built in.

Ed