Chaining power supplies together.

Dave Peterson

I just want to check myself. I don't want to overlook something and break my toys:

Is it safe, and a typical thing to do, to daisy chain power supplies to get a higher voltage than any one supply can provide?

I'm talking about TM500/5000 plug-in power supplies with one or two outputs with an ungrounded common. Say I have two 20v supplies: can I tie the common of the 2nd to the output of the 1st and get 40v between the common of the 1st and the output of the 2nd? Safely?

Seems appropriate, but haven't seen it done or talked about before. I don't want to blow anything up if I'm forgetting something fundamental here.

Thanks,
Dave