Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

-

Barry,

Ordinary household silicone sealant releases Acetic Acid as it cures so
you're right, it's not kind to most metals. But they also make an
electronics grade silicone sealant that won't harm metal. I don't know if
it's suitable for your transformer but I thought that you might like to
know.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:14 PM n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> wrote:

I just don't know where there's an appropriate group for this so thought
I'd ask here.

I have a transformer (out of a fairly old SOLA CVT) whose 115V input leads
have become fragile right at the point where they enter the windings. It
is good enough to get a wire spliced onto it but I would like to stabilize
the point where it enters the transformer.

This transformer was inside of a metal housing and poured with a generous
layer of tar to stabilize everything - including the laminations as those
can be noisy. While tar would probably work, I'd rather use something else
and only at the point where these two wires enter the core to hopefully
prevent further breakage after the splice is made. I'm thinking of making
a small form at the end of the core around the wires and pour a potting
compound of sorts in the form.

My first thoughts would be something akin to silicone sealant but, as I
understand it, that stuff is not kind to wiring. Roofing tar might work if
it sets up firmly enough but, again, would like to steer clear of more
tar. Is there something out there that would work well for this?

Feel free to respond directly to me.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ