Re: Tek 1503C TDR

Paul Amaranth

Someone on eevblog replaced the lcd screen on a 1502B with an LCD panel:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tek-1502b-tdr-restoration-project-and-more/msg3555459/#msg3555459

Some useful info there.

Paul

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 01:08:05PM -0400, Harvey White wrote:
In one of the TM5000 series function generators with an LCD display, I was
able to replace the Tek display (with an EL backlight) with a standard 2
line x 16 character off the shelf LCD display.  The two displays looked
physically identical with the exception of the EL backlight, of course.

Harvey

On 4/26/2021 11:44 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
Judging by the pictures on TekWiki those LCD displays could use replacing even when they were "working."

It looks like the LCD is getting 8-bit parallel data from the CPU with 3 address lines and read and write strobes. The display modules are only referenced using Tek part numbers (672-1241-00 below SN B023854, 118-9050-01 after), but I wonder how hard it would be to decipher that protocol. At the very least you could read the Z-80 assembly that generates the video output straight out of the ROMs.

That would be a lot easier to read with a modern LCD and backlight, or a nice, old-school gas plasma or vacuum fluorescent display.

-- Jeff Dutky