Re: chinese witches hats for old probes help

dave G8SFU

Hi all..
This is my report on the chinese witches hats.
First my thanks to all who replied. No-one was able to say for certain if they would fit my probes.

I ordered six of the widely advertised ones
(6 New Probe Hook (Gray) for Tektronix Probes, P6139A, P6138A, P6109, P6105)
from seller sharpseller2000. The price was £11.26 delivered.
Ordered on 19 March, delivered in two packages, first on 29 March and the other a couple of days later.

I have no genuine Tek ones to compare.
They are made of two plastic parts, the metal hook and a spring.
There is no earthing part inside. I expect the genuine ones to continue the probe earth sleeve some way inside the hat.

The fit to all the probes listed in my original query below is satisfactory. The inner plastic sleeve fits on the earth sleeve of the probe quite firmly.

I dont think they would have lasted many days on Jim Williams' bench but they are going to be good enough for me for now.
I recognise and understand their limitations and am happy with my purchase.

I hope this helps others.

Dave G8SFU

On 10/03/2021 17:01, dave G8SFU via groups.io wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for a bit of guidance here please.
Since moving house a couple of years ago I am only just getting some test gear set up.
I find I have 4 good genuine Tek probes to go with the 4 Tek scopes.
(466, 468, 475 and 2246)
Other scopes make do with inferior probes.
The Tek probes are P6062B, P6101A, P6053B, and P6011.
All seem to be in good order, but none of them have witches hats,(sprung hook clips).
All seem to be the same fitting around the tip area with the earth sleeve diameter being 4.4 mm diameter or just a bit larger.
I had a good look on the site for chinese ones, but they are all specified for newer probe models, so I was not sure enough to order any.
Each of the Tek par numbers for the witches hats is slightly different but they look to me as if they would all take the same hat.
Can anyone who has bought from china give me any guidance please.
I realise the quality will be what it is, but it seems they would be worth a punt if anyone can confirm the size.
thanks for reading   Dave    G8SFU