Re: Sampling head remove/install with scope power on?

Stephen Hanselman

No matter what a “book” might say hot-plugging any active electronic device is at best a crap-shoot and more likely a very bad idea.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Mar 31, 2021, at 10:05, Charles <charlesmorris800@centurytel.net> wrote:

Is it safe to remove or install an S-1 through S-6 sampling head from its plug-in without turning off the scope?

There is nothing mentioned in the manuals for the various heads (or plugins, like my 3S2)... in the pictures I can see that one pin on each side of the head's edge fingers is shorter than the others. I would have thought that Tek would provide a warning - or maybe it's just something that engineers in the 60's assumed?

It's hard on the scope to keep turning it on and off, but I don't want to blow up my heads either.
Thoughts?