Re: How to explain how negative feedback lowers noise?

Mike Merigliano

What's wrong with mentioning the IEEE? I know a little bit about it (a good friend of mine is a past president, and we talk about it sometimes). Just curious, as a non-EE person.

This is already off-topic, so if the answer is long and complicated, there's not much sense in gumming things up further.

Thanks.

On 3/29/2021 10:34 AM, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

The trouble with having all the world's knowledge at our fingertips is that so
much of what so many know is wrong.
There's all sorts of things problematic with that statement; but, there is... I would claim... a core of truth to it.
One consequence is that it takes more than an opinion... or more than an opinion and an advanced STEM degree to opine "truthfully" on the topics of, "Who discovered what," and "when and where it was discovered."
For instance, some once common tropes... now since revised... and being revised.
Robert Fulton didn't invent the steam engine... but, maybe the first steam powered boat?
Bell didn't invent the telephone.. but was the first to successfully patent it in the U.S?
Farnsworth didn't invent the television... but was maybe the first to display a transmitted image?
That is not to say all of these people were not very important contributors.
As for the "truth" of the genesis of of any particular invention... I'd say, leave discovering it to the professionals: they are sometimes found, hibernating under piles of dusty books, in a tiny closet of an office... sequestered off from the mostly un-traveled corridors of the department of Medieval Studies... or the like. Usually, such individuals have spent years, if not their whole career, trying to answer "who" invented some particular technology.
I know some people on this forum are incensed at the mention of the I.E.E.E. ;but, they do publish some well received monographs on topics concerning the history of science and technology.
Other literature is less accessible... and typically in journals, or university libraries.