Re: More fun with avalanche pulsers

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

It might just be the math. You cannot get
a perfectly flat top even with infinite bandwidth...

Look up Gibbs Phenomena.

Basically, the Fourier combination of sine waves to
create a square wave will never quite get to a perfect
square, because there will be spikes and ringing at the
discontinuities.... even if you go out to infinite bandwidth.

-Chuck Harris

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 09:23:01 -0700 "Charles"
<charlesmorris800@centurytel.net> wrote:
That is true, but Bodnar's pulser is a full order of magnitude faster
than mine (30-40 ps vs. 380) and I'm sure nothing is what it seems at
that speed.

Anyway, I may just stop here rather than drive myself nuts trying to
get a perfect square pulse! It's faster than any of my scopes can
measure except the sampler. On my 7A26/7403 (the amp is 200 MHz but
the mainframe only 65 MHz) I just see a little 1 volt rounded bump a
few ns wide ;)