Re: Cheap cables from China

Greg Muir

I think I may have mentioned this before.

When attending a seminar at NIST (then NBS) I learned quite a bit about coaxial cables and their connectors. With regards to cables carrying the MIL RG numbering system not all manufacturers cables are the same. For a true RG cable meeting the original military specifications for shield coverage, dielectric, size and even impedance the designation will specifically state “RG-xx” or “Mil-C-17 RG-xx”. Those cables that contain the designation “RG-xx” followed by “Type” are cables that look like the military styles but do not necessarily meet the published specifications.

As for Chinese cables, well, you are on your own. They don’t seem to follow the rules of the game when it comes to labeling things.

Greg