Re: 547 HV Transformer: Bill Schell rewind failed

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Hi Eric,

Beeswax is an easy commodity. I get the highly purified white
variety that candle makers use. Smells like honey, but is
free of bee parts, and pollen granules, that exist otherwise.

It takes very little to impregnate hundreds of coils. I am still
working off of a 10lb block I bought 10 years ago.

Should we change the subject on this post? I don't like seeing
Bill Schell's name associated with failed. He did an amazing
thing for the tektronix community back before most any of us
even knew there was a problem.

-Chuck Harris

Eric wrote:

Chuck,

Are you in need of bees wax? I might be able to get some in bulk. I happen
to know a couple of bee keepers. I would also like to learn more about the
transformer winder when the time is right.

Eric
On Thu, Mar 4, 2021, 7:45 PM Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> wrote:

Hi Bernd,

All indications are that my new machine is going to
do an even better job than the best I could do with
the old manual machine.

As an example, I was able to get 2/3 of the way to a
full wind without using the rosin/alcohol mixture that
I developed to enhance the wire's friction...

Using the rosin/alcohol, I am there already.

And, I will be using beeswax.

I'm glad to hear the prototype is still soldiering
on. Soon, I may be able to get you the winds I promised
oh so long ago...

-Chuck Harris

widgethunter via groups.io wrote:
My memory certainly hasn't improved with age.Not much else seems to
have, either...But, the beeswax thing I'd be willing to put money on - fwiw.
Incidentally, I still have not installed the 2nd wax xfrmr you made for
me, but the 1st prototype continues to perform flawlessly.Bernd