Re: 465B strange ripple

Eric

Since UPS units are getting suggested I need to mention something. UPS units are NOT all created equal. And are NOT all the same. The “cheap” ups units are line interactive units. This means that until they sense a problem the inverter is not running and you are not getting filtered power essentially a relay shorts the line for pass through. If your goal is to isolate line noise you need a power conditioning ups or even better a double conversion ups. These can get very expensive quickly $800.00 for a good 1000 Watt unit. Most computer store ups units when on the inverter put out square wave power not a sinusoid. Some loads “computers” don’t care some loads “motors” care very much.
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Ford
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2021 2:28 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 465B strange ripple

Yes, it's a good idea to have a UPS (or even more than one), for more than just this project. Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Raymond Domp Frank <hewpatek@gmail.com> Date: 2/25/21 5:04 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 465B strange ripple On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 01:49 PM, Stephen wrote:>> I would gladly try this and do what Jouko suggested. However, I don’t have> neither a car battery nor an inverter at my disposal at this time>>Hi Stephen,That's why I came up with a "UPS" (Uninterruptible Power Supply) in my previous message. The kind I had in mind is a self-contained shoebox-sized device, containing a battery and an inverter. You connect them to the mains to charge the battery and feed your equipment. When you pull the plug, the inverter takes over - if the battery is charged. Computershops sell them. Expect to spend at least a few hundred Euros for the better ones, i.e. the ones having "softer" output waveforms and better output voltage regulation.The better ones also contain noise filters for the mains power, although they won't filter sinusoidal frequencies of around 50 Hz, the main symptom of your problem. Google "APC UPS" to get started.Raymond

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.