locked Re: Slightly OT: How can I dissolve Potting Compound? FOLLOWUP

-

"I found your trigger... good for me.

In taking offense, you miss the point completely, and reinforce
the reason why many suppliers of compressed and liquefied gasses
won't deal with non-business entities."

Sorry, you didn't find my trigger or you would know that you did with
absolutely no uncertainty. As for "good for me", well that shows a
considerable amount of immaturity on your part and says far more about you
than it does me. And no, I didn't "miss the point". Your point was as
clear then as it is now and I just wanted to point out that I have
CONSIDERABLE experience in this area. I also have considerable more
experience with related equipment than what I discussed but that was in
regards to my work for the US (and other) governments so I don't talk about
any of that, PERIOD.

As for me taking "offense", well maybe. But I usually do take offense to
loudmouths that don't know what they're talking about so I don't see that
as being a negative.

But to get to the bottom line, YES, most air gas suppliers WILL sell
liquefied gases to individuals just the same as they will sell them
compressed gasses. I have bought it and friends of mine have bought it.
OTOH there are some air gas suppliers that won't sell *anything* to
individuals. But that is just about their sales policy and not something
particular to liquified gasses.

If you really care to be informed on the subject, which I doubt, then go
over to the WeldingWeb forum. They maintain a running list of suppliers
that will or won't sell to individuals. <https://www.weldingweb.com/vbb/>
I'm one of the members there and on a few other welding forums.

Cheers,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> wrote:

I found your trigger... good for me.

In taking offense, you miss the point completely, and reinforce
the reason why many suppliers of compressed and liquefied gasses
won't deal with non-business entities.

-Chuck Harris

- wrote:
Wrong, I think that a poorly secured welding cylinder riding in the
backseat of a car would easily snuff the life out of you if you ran into
something. IMO You would have to be very, very, stupid to carry something
like that inside of your car; for a variety of reasons. People have also
been known to blow up their cars due to leaking cylinders of acetylene
and
the like and people have been made sick and probably even killed due to
suffocation hazards from gas cylinders in many kinds of enclosed spaces.
Regardless, I NEVER carry gas cylinders inside of a car and I would not
carry any liquified gas there either. My cylinders get carried,
*strapped
down*, in the *open* back of a truck or a trailer. No exceptions. The
same
with hazardous liquids like gasoline, MEK and acetone, etc. BLEVE? No
thanks! Among other things, I've had teachers and friends that have seen
cylinders dropped and the necks broken off and they have described how
far
a 200+ pound heavy steel cylinder can fly and the damage that it will do
when it gets stopped!

BTW I used to live only a few miles from where that Blue Rhino propane
plant in Florida caught fire and exploded a few years ago and I watched
as
it repeatedly exploded a few years ago so I know what even propane can
do.
Also in around 1974 I was also living quite near Antelope, California
when
a train load of 500 pound bombs destined for VietNam caught fire and the
bombs started exploding! I had returned from VietNam only days before
and
I instantly knew what that sound was! I do play with explosives and very
large fireworks (I'm a member of the largest Pyrotechnics club in the US)
as well as welding gasses and various chemicals but you can bet your asz
that I THINK about what I'm doing and I don't take unnecessary risks.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 6:33 AM Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> wrote:

A poorly serviced dewar full of LN2, riding in the back seat
of your car, will quite easily snuff your life out, without
you ever even knowing there is a problem...

Your welding gas cylinders won't do that.

-Chuck Harris

- wrote:
I have welding equipment including Oxy-Acetylene and Helium, CO2 and
25/75 gas for MIG and TIG and the same companies sell all of that also
sell
liquified gasses so I doubt that I'd have any trouble getting liquid
N2.
Liquid O2, possibly, but not liquid N2 which in realtively inert and
doesn't support combustion.