From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeff Dutky
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 5:40 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Waking a slumbering 475

Roy,

I think that the advice to use a variac came from a tradition of servicing tube radios and TVs. I have a variac that belonged to my grandfather, who dabbled in television repair at one point. He loaned it to me, along with a signal generator, a resistance-capacitance bridge, and a tube tester, when I was trying to refurbish a 1949 Admiral TV. It was a long time ago, but I think that he advised me to bring the TV up slowly on the variac to give the tubes time to heat up slowly. I have since gotten the advice to use the variac in on-line communities, and seen it repeated in YouTube videos, the later by people who work on old tube radios and TVs. Those same YouTube videos show the use of incandescent bulbs to indicate and limit high currents.

Sadly I can not find an archive of the sci.electronics newsgroup from 2003, or I would be able to produce the exact correspondence that resulted in the advice to use the variac. I'm a little surprised that I am not able to find such an archive, or my specific messages therein: my name is unique, and it should only occur a very small number of times in relation to that newsgroup and the word "Tektronix"

-- Jeff Dutky