Re: CSA, UL/ULC and CE approvals for Tek gear

Siggi

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 5:11 PM John Williams <books4you4@mail.com> wrote:

I guess I am just dumb, but I fail to see what the problem is here. In the
United States electrical equipment needed UL approval to be sold in that
country. Same in Canada with CSA approval. These standards did not come
from lawyers and politicians, but from safety experts and engineers. They
were needed to protect consumers from shoddy products that endanger
people’s lives. Certainly you wouldn’t want your wife or kid to use
unapproved toasters computers etc.
The more salient example than toasters nowadays is phone chargers. I've
seen several dissections of phone chargers sold in North America that are,
if not directly lethal, only one failure away from plumbing mains into the
user's ear. After the first time I saw one of those I threw out all phone
chargers of unknown or questionable origin, and I will only buy name brand
chargers from verifiable sources since...