Re: I built a TM500 mainframe tester, and updated the design. Someone might find this useful?

Larry McDavid

Here is another update on our group purchase of the set of four circuit boards for Jared Cabot's TM500 tester described in his original email below.

I have received the circuit boards from PCBWay in China. The boards look really good! Standard green FR4, solder-masked and silk screened. The main board is ENIG gold plated and two other boards are HASL solder coated. The outside front panel board is solder-masked white and silk screened with black nomenclature.

I am packaging the boards in sets of one each of the four boards and stretch-wrapping them to a stiffener for the flat mailer envelope I will use for shipping. I've heat sealed each board in its own poly bag for protection. There is actually a lot of work in all that! I'll report again when I have shipped the boards.

I have a few extra complete sets of boards but I have a list of members who asked after I closed the orders; I'll ask those members individually and announce here if there are any more sets left after that.

I do have a few extra boards, except for the main circuit board with the edge connector. I have a few front panel boards with circuitry, some rotary switch wiring boards and some silk-screened front panel nomenclature boards. The nomenclature boards might be especially nice if you are building your own tester. I will price each of these boards at $4 plus shipping. Shipping will be easier since there is no long main board available to ship. Please contact me ***off-list*** if you are interested in any of these extra boards.

Larry

On 12/31/2020 11:27 AM, Jared Cabot via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,
I have been accumulating TM500 modules and mainframes for a little while, so I recently finished building an 067-1201-99 TM500 mainframe tester from the Tek construction notes floating around.
I updated the design somewhat and designed it for simplified construction (Not a single wire to strip and solder!) and I thought someone here might be interested in taking a look or even building one themselves.
Here's a link to the youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afwqtc6Fxd4
And here's a link to the google drive with all the gerbers and schematics and stuff. I went so far as to rewrite the manual with the alterations and corrections included.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yj52Z_BtGZ7Q9BB2jS9Lf2Uz39turS4-
Direct link to the new manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqpcqheb01qMioQwcUhyWv6A37v2HPro/view?usp=sharing
Let me know what you think, and let me know if you see any errors that need correcting. :)
Regards
Jared...
--
Best wishes,