Re: Extracting a buggered knob grubscrew

-

That's a good mix for working on mechanical stuff but I don't think I'd
be willing to try Acetone on a Tektronix knob or painted surface. ATF fluid
by itself is a good penetrating oil and is *probably* safe and effective.
But I still wouldn't use it on anything that is irreplaceable until I knew
that it was safe.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:15 AM Frank DuVal via groups.io <corvairduval=
netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

Kroil is excellent.

But also try 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. That's any automatic
transmission fluid and Acetone.

Of course if you have to buy a quart of fluid and a quart of Acetone,
one can of Kroil may be cheaper if available locally.

Frank DuVal

On 2/2/2021 4:44 PM, JJ wrote:
I used a drop of Kroil on a 7000 plugin knob set screw when it was
frozen.
That stuff never lets me down. Of course, you need to use it before you
strip the screw head! And, you need to be patient - like a few drops over
an 8 hour period. Be careful that you don't get the stuff on the face of
Tek instrument - it will likely take the print off. But, just about
anything other than a lightly water damped cloth will take the print off
Tek instrument.

JJ