From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Daniel
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2021 1:43 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix 7b92a shuts down crt & graticule illumination on 7904 mainframe

Ummm... I’m not sure hot-plugging a 7xxx plug-in is a good idea since they were not designed for that. The result will depend on the sequence of contact between the plug-in board fingers and the 7904 connector contacts when the plug-in is inserted (hint: they will not all make contact at the same time).

All hot-plug systems of which I am aware have different length pins/fingers which serve to control how the circuits on the hot-pluggable board are activated as well as active circuitry to protect things during power-up.

DaveD

On Feb 7, 2021, at 12:07, robeughaas@gmail.com wrote:

It's been a while since I've been inside a 7904, but I'm sure it has some accessible power-supply test points. With power off and the plug-in not installed, measure the resistance of each test point to ground. Then, with the power still off, insert the plug-in and measure the test points again. They may measure under 100 ohms, but should not be under 10 ohms. This should identify which supply the plug-in is shorting and suggest which caps on the plug-in to look for. Tantalums don't always show external distress when they short so dont rely on a visual check.

--
Bob Haas