Re: Extracting a buggered knob grubscrew

Ken, WA2LBI

I have a small collection of triangular screwdrivers. I first ran across
them in a Lionel model train controller I had to repair. I volunteer at a
number of Repair Cafes and have come across a number of household items
that use them. So far I am the only Repair Coach who has had them at the
Cafes.

I have all of the following: 2mm, 2.3mm, 2.5mm, 2.7mm, 3mm, 3.5mm, and 4mm
i a couple different shaft lengths. When I encounter a new size I buy one.
So far all of them have been purchase through Amazon.

Ken
WA2LBI

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 18:56 Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

Well, Charles, I've had a few screws come out with the SpeedOuts my wife
got me for Christmas one year. But probably not better than 50%, which
is disappointing. Going to try HF left-handed drill bits. I'm sure
there's something else useful when I get over there. There always is!

Oh yes, I wanted to look for triangular screwdrivers; one of the
Christmas light strings crapped out, and the control box has these silly
triangular screws. Only place I've seen them before was holding a
NASCAR HotWheels-sized car to the base. An appropriately sized hex key
fit in there and allowed me to remove it; I got lucky that time.
Unfortunately the Xmas light box is between 1.5 and 2 mm and between
1/16 inch and the next one up (5/64" maybe?).

Jim Ford