From: "Tom Lee" <tomlee@ee.stanford.edu>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 1/31/2021 2:07:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] User Experience of Sampling Scopes

Thanks for being “that guy”. Not being aware of the difference can cause expensive damage, and it’s one of my pet peeves.

The two connectors can mate, but the 3.5mm connector is made to much tighter tolerances. It also has an air dielectric. Mating to a poorly made (or badly abused) SMA can wreck a 3.5mm connector’s ability to maintain low SWR all the way out to its TEM limit. Permanent damage can be done by a single connect-disconnect cycle.

I have sacrificial connector savers on all of my expensive gear, but occasionally a student will remove them — against the rules — to shorten a path or because they think the savers are introducing some artifacts. If they then connect a random SMA cable to the gear, those students have their lab access cards deactivated pretty quickly.

—Cheers
Tom

Sent from my iThing, so please forgive typos and brevity.

On Jan 31, 2021, at 1:42 PM, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Well, not to be "that guy", but the SD-24 uses 3.5mm connectors... Compatible with SMA but not the same.

And I would just like to add that I have a S-52 which makes me *almost* as cool.