Re: Extracting a buggered knob grubscrew

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

I went back into their terms and conditions, and they say that
they sell wholesale to businesses, but will sell retail to individuals...
for retail prices.

I recall that when I opened my account with them, they were B to B, and
insisted that I provide them with either bank references for my business,
or a business checking account check. They were put off because I gave
them my business credit card... but they accepted it for opening the
account.

So, I guess things have changed since the 1980's.

Even at their supposed wholesale prices, they are one of the most
expensive places I have ever bought from.

-Chuck Harris

Chris Wilkson via groups.io wrote:

Grainger does sell to individuals. I've purchased one-off items from multiple locations.
They're expensive, but they've saved me on more than one occasion.

On the other end of the budget...Harbor Freight sells a 13-piece HSS left hand drill bit set for under $9.
I have these and they worked to remove the set screw from an arcade Pong control knob when *nothing* else would.
Thing had Coke spilled all through it 40 years ago and it set up like concrete. And corroded all the metal pretty badly.

-Chris

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 08:17 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:

Grainger is a B-to-B only store. They won't sell to you,
from their stores, unless you have a business, and an account.

They are easier to deal with over the internet.

-Chuck Harris

Dale Chayes wrote:
Historically (I haven’t bought from either in 4-5 years) you will get a
significantly better price from McMaster or Grainger if you create an account.
I have no financial connection to either (other than spending my money there
occasionally.)f

On the left-hand drilling front, use high quality (high speed steel - HSS)
bits, some light lubricant to save the drill bits, go slowly, and carefully -
drilling out broken off 1/2” bolts is another matter….

I think the heat and vibration generated by the drilling process also
contribute to loosening stuck threads.

-Dale

On Feb 2, 2021, at 10:54 , Bruce Atwood <CCDman1@...> wrote:

With regard to left hand drill bits, at the Ohio State Imaging Sciences Lab
our motto was, when it comes to mechanicals: "If McMaster doesn't have it, you
don't need it".
https://www.mcmaster.com/

Keep them separate from the RH drill bits because running a drill bit
backwards will dull it very rapidly.