Re: Extracting a buggered knob grubscrew

Jim Ford

Another hint for ez outs is to take it really, really slow.  Too fast and they just spin in the stripped screw head and make things worse.  I found out the hard way when removing screws from my 7904 a few months ago.   Jeez, Tek put those !&^#$ things in tight!     Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Chuck Harris <cfharris@erols.com> Date: 2/2/21 7:53 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Extracting a buggered knob grubscrew Travers Tool Co. has a nice set of left hand drill bits,and for a far better price than Grainger.The problem with ez-outs is most try to use one that istoo big.The ex-out works by grubbing into the screw with a taper,and when you torque it, it will expand the screw andlock it into the hole.Try to use an ez-out that is no larger than 1/2 the diameterof the screw you are trying to remove.  If it doesn't comeout "ez" it won't come out with an ez-out.A left hand drill bit doesn't expand the screw, as itcuts the screw away.  The friction, heat, and occasionalgrabbing action usually will cause the screw to wind rightout of the hole.-Chuck HarrisDavid Slipper wrote:> Where did you get your set of left-handed drills ???>> On 02/02/2021 12:31, - wrote:>>   I have a set of them and I keep them in their own protective box and they're>> used only to remove stubborn set screws and broken bolts. For me left hand>> bits work *much* better than Easy Outs for removing broken bolts and>> buggered set screws.>>>> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 8:43 PM Bob Albert via groups.io <bob91343=>> yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:>>>>> >>>