Re: An informative web site for test equipment repairs

Gordon Smith

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 10:55 PM, Bob Albert wrote:

I won't argue.  He does however back down on his rating of Tek at one point.
We are all entitled to opinions and he was patently exercising his
entitlement.  More authoritative than most, as he has had a lot of hands on
experience.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the read.
Bob On Friday, January 29, 2021, 10:13:23 PM PST, Bob Albert via groups.io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My thanks to Brad Thompson for sharing the link (Brad is also a member of the Glowbugs Vintage Radio email reflector which I am also a member, BTW. Hi Brad!). A very informative website.

To me the key thing about this person's (he never gives a name I could find) ranting was that he was just as hard on himself as he was commenting on design. On his repair notes regarding some other pieces of equipment he fully admits the stupid things HE did. So he is just as hard on himself. So it appears that his rants are more his opinion regarding the reparability of something. And believe me, as a mechanical engineer I have had times when I've wanted to drag the designer of a particular piece of equipment out to the thing that he/she designed and give them a piece of my mind about how, with just a little more thought, their creation could have been MUCH more easily repairable.

That all being said, I think this comment from one section of the website sums up this gentleman's true feelings about Tektronix equipment: "Tektronix Scope Collection Bonus Rant! With this latest acquisition, I now have Tektronix oscilloscopes from the 200, 300, 400, 2000, 5000, 7000, T900 and TDS series! That pretty much does it unless I am interested in the early vacuum tube models (I'm not) or want to spend thousands on a post-2000 manufactured model (I don't). But I think it does qualify me to enter an opinion. I have said it several times already on this web page - Tektronix really does know how to make an oscilloscope. Sure, I have complained in other Bonus Rants about their needlessly complicated mechanical designs, cam switches and difficult disassembly procedures, but some of that is most likely related to Tek's attempt to lower manufacturing costs (at the expense of future serviceability). But I find their CRTs superior to others in terms of clarity and I find their mostly consistent knobology (particularly in the later TDS models) also to be the best. If you have your mind set on a 1970 - 1995 vintage oscilloscope, get a Tektronix model. Don't waste your money on other brands."

Thank You, Gordon