Re: P6137 scope probe repair

Lawrance A. Schneider

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM, Roy Thistle wrote:

The "coax" is not normal 50 ohm coax... on high performance/high frequency
probes.
It is usually a kind of "lossy" coax, which uses a shaped mono-filament
resistance wire for the center conductor. That wire is somewhat brittle
(compared to copper)... and shatters or cracks... when bent, mutilated, or
stapled.
After I wrote my missive about finding the break with a nanoVNA, I thought about the problem further. Last year, I started to explore why Tek Probes use t-coils - boy oh boy was that a fun project. And I then remembered the above. Why am I bothering to note this. I discovered the Probe is 'tuned' within and shortening the lead and reconnecting would most likely result in a semi-worthless probe. I believe Alan Wolke has a video about the wire within a probe. The wire looks like a mess.

larry