Re: Tektronix 214 Storage Scope

Hi Carl,
I found one for sale at a swap meet that didn't work so I was able to get it at a bargain.
Thanks to a friend I discovered a custom made battery pack was readily available for less than $20.
With a new battery pack I was amazed that this little scope ran for over 6 hours on a full charge.
It is an extremely handy scope to have when you are working on equipment where there is 220V or 440V AC power or isolated equipment where it would be dangerous to connect a conventional scope up for fear of a ground loop blowing out the scope.

I love my 214 storage scope. A few years ago I even found the carrying case for it.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Carl Hallberg via groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 9:28 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Tektronix 214 Storage Scope

Hi Group,
Some years ago I got 2 basket case scopes. The problems involved a leaky diode and bad trigger chip in one and for both I decided to remove the batteries, and not have them internal to the scope. They had been leaking and I didn't want anymore damage. The regulator is a shunt type because a series regulator would have a voltage loss across it. It is good to plug it into the cigar lighter of a car or use a gel cell battery, but no longer uses the internal charging. I sold one of them to Jon Batters, who I miss on Tekscopes. Talked to him on the phone couple of times. Good conversations. The 214 nice little scope but only 500KHz.

Carl Hallberg (W9CJH)

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=259407

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.