Re: [dead tek 485] Can i fix it ? (newbie here)

dnmeeks

Make sure to use a good contact cleaner / lube and clean ALL of the controls! Dirty switches can make for very interesting symptoms. I once acquired a 475 that almost did nothing - cleaning the controls brought it back to 90% working.
The 50 ohm switch issues could be a dirty switch for example. But other controls like intensity and offset controls can result in no display if they are dirty. I love Deoxit D5 for this.
Good luck! the 485 is a beautiful little scope but man is it hard to work on. I believe it was originally developed to provide field service engineers a 1nsec scope that would fit under the seat on an airplane. And I think it may have been the first 1nsec scope Tek made?