Re: PG506 calibrator generator voltage error

Tom Lee

Ceramic caps rarely become defective from simple age, but can be damaged, as can any other component. For example, if a previous user connected the PG506 to something whose common-mode voltage was very greatly different, that cap could've suffered.

You haven't described the noise in any specific detail, so your question can't be answered in any specific detail. Generally speaking, verify that your supplies are clean. And try to provide more information if you want to get more helpful responses. Is the noise manifesting as timing jitter? Amplitude noise on the flat portions? Does the noise appear to have structure? etc. The more you can tell us, the more we can tell you. And in the process of finding more yourself, you will frequently be led to the problem's cause on your own.

Congratulations on getting this far.  I'm sure you'll find that plug-in a very useful tool!

-- Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 12/27/2020 14:29, Gif Sim via groups.io wrote:
yess ... yesss .... it was c100 now the pg506a works correctly !!!!

never happened that a ceramic did so '... usually electrolytic and tantalum give problems
I hope it will be useful to someone .... before writing here I searched a lot on the net but I didn't find much ...

is it normal for Q290 and Q190 to be very very hot?
is there a way to make the output less noisy?
in standard amplitude on 1 Mohm oscilloscope I measure 2 mV P-P
is this a normal value?

THANKS GUYS !!!!!!!!!..........IT'S ALSO THANKS TO YOU !!!!!!!!!

Simon