Re: Rescuing 500s from tube snatchers/scavengers - how much is it worth

John Williams

Hi. There is no shortage of NOS tubes in my experience. For example, Radio Electric Supply (https://vacuumtubes.net/ ) in Florida has over 12 million tubes in their stock. I ran across a guy recently at a hamfest who has 7 tractor-trailers on his property stuffed to the top with new tubes. I think there is a common belief that the tubes in Tektronix equipment are somehow better than new one you can buy from a dealer. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most have hundreds of hours on them and a lot of stress. Plus nobody is going to guarantee anything about them, or even test them. Just my 2 cents worth.